The Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA) is seeking a Director of Civic Engagement and Democracy.
The Director of Civic Engagement and Democracy (DCED) plays a key role in educating and mentoring the next generation of Iranian Americans by managing the Civic Leadership Program (CLP). The DCED will also work with the Leadership Committee and Advisory Board to further the strategic direction of the CLP. With vision and leadership, this position aims to refine PAAIA’s highly commended and effective initiatives and programs that provide youth mentorship, leadership skills, and advocacy training by growing external support.
The DCED will work with PAAIA staff, CLP sponsors, and its Advisors to further CLP programs including the Civic Leadership Credential, Farokhzad Civic Leaders Summit, Pezeshkan Capitol Hill Internship Program, and Ansari Public Service Fellowship. Maximizing the priorities, resources, and effectiveness of the CLP and its work, the DCED will build support for democracy education, civic engagement, narrative change, partnerships, and public engagement.
This role is responsible for working across teams to execute goals, strategies, and initiatives, and ensure integration across programs. Additionally, the DCED will prioritize developing external partnerships by playing a pivotal role in grant applications. The ideal candidate will be committed to bringing a welcoming lens on gender, ethnicity, class, and sexuality to the work and will ensure that the diversity of Iranian Americans is centered in the work.
This is a full-time position of 40.0 hours per week.
- Create and manage independently run program budget.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts including draft grant proposals.
- Recruit, maintain, and manage Donors and Sponsors.
- Maintain Civic Leadership Program initiatives from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones, processes, and evaluation. Collaborate with and include target demographic in program development.
- Provide a monthly report on program outcomes to relevant stakeholders.
- Meet organizational and fundraising objectives.
- Manage mass emailing and online communications including social media content (primarily Instagram), including data analytics.
- Maintain and update Civic Leadership Program website (built on Wix).
- Manage relationships with program advisors and PAAIA Board.
- Develop and maintain community relations including student groups, community organizations, and individuals across the country. This includes managing inbound requests.
- Recruit and manage volunteers and interns on an as needed basis.
- Represent Civic Leadership Program interests and serve as a spokesperson in community and with stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in business, public relations, political science, or event management
- 2+ years’ experience in a donor management/fundraising role, event planning position, organizing role, or other relevant position
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment and independently with little direction
- Experience managing projects and multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Extremely organized with an eye for detail
- Some knowledge of Iran and the Iranian American community is preferred
- An understanding of Persian is a plus
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
PAAIA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, nonpartisan, nonsectarian organization that serves the interests of Iranian Americans and represents the community before U.S. policymakers and the American public at large. PAAIA focuses on education, advocacy, and leadership as key components of its mission to (1) expand opportunities for Iranian Americans in the democratic process at all levels of government and in public debate; (2) provide opportunities for advancing the next generation; (3) educate the general American public and policymakers about the Iranian American community and its opinions.
This position is competitively salaried, commensurate with experience, and includes medical benefits.