Public Policy Research Associate
The Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA) seeks a Public Policy Research Associate to work with the Executive Director, Director of Government Affairs and Policy, and the Director of Communications towards implementing the organization’s research and writing goals. Applicants should have a bachelor degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
PAAIA is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nonsectarian organization that serves the interests of Iranian Americans and represents the community before U.S. policymakers and the American public at large. We work to expand opportunities for the active participation of Iranian Americans in the democratic process at all levels of government and in the public debate.
The Public Policy Research Associate will provide research and writing for PAAIA’s legislative initiatives and media and community outreach. The candidate will also provide general staff assistance in a variety of areas. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of Legislative and Policy Information Center for PAAIA, including Action Alerts, talking points, legislative updates, letters to elected officials, and articles for publication on PAAIA’s website and electronic newsletter.
- Conduct research and analysis and write reports, policy briefs, and other publications for dissemination.
- Follow relevant policy developments, identify important issues, and provide analysis to internal staff.
- Support co-workers in a team effort.
Other responsibilities include:
- Assist with conferences and meetings (including member retreats, board meetings, seminars, Capitol Hill briefings, and other events)
- Supporting program development activities
- Creating PowerPoint and other presentations
- Have strong writing and research skills, preferably with a policy focus
- Have at least 2 – 3 years’ work experience in an office or similar setting / position
- Have experience managing small projects and multi-tasking in a fast paced environment
- Be proficient with Microsoft office products, particularly Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Be able to work independently and within a team setting.
- Some knowledge of Iran and the Iranian American community is preferred.
PAAIA is an equal opportunity employer. To apply for this position please submit a cover letter with a resume and writing sample of ~ 500 words by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Research Associate.
The Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA DC) offers fall, spring, and summer semester internship opportunities to graduate, college and university students to work in our Washington, D.C. office. The best-suited individuals will be students of political science, public policy, history, economics and journalism. Excellent written and oral communication skills and computer fluency (mainly MS Office and Windows OS applications) are necessary. Persian fluency is not required but considered an advantage in selection of the successful applicant(s).
Interns work on various projects and assignments. Duties include but are not limited to research on public policy programs and related activities, assisting with planning of events, program implementation, logistical support for staff activities, and other administrative tasks. PAAIA accepts interns throughout the year and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, writing samples and references to Collin@paaia.org or call us at (202)-828-8371.